Sunday, April 27, 2008

A Feng Shui Garden Design 3

This is the last post in a series of 3.

The property had a small triangle in the back, bordered by an unruly honeysuckle hedge, a neighbor's fence, and the garage. It occurred to me that there was enough room to install a "Secret Garden", where the clients could sit in a garden space to enjoy our beautiful summers. I strongly believe that we feel better when we are surrounded by plants, and always include a space for this purpose when I design landscapes. Sitting on a deck doesn't qualify, as it only makes us spectators of nature, not participants.

The "before" photos show the ball-shaped yew and the old spruce tree, both of which were removed. We were able to salvage the perennials and use them in the side garden.

Circular paved stone patio with raised wall. The wall was built at sitting height. The gazebo keeps out insects and provides an intimate sitting area.

The garden is a mass of easy-care Daylilies, with a ring of Amur Maple trees which will fill in and create a leafy canopy over the patio area.

The fountain is the focal point of the Secret Garden, providing the sound of trickling water to mask traffic noises.

This project was successful for the following reasons:
  • Dream clients with clear design parameters and open minds (the Secret Garden installation was an additional cost)
  • A competent contractor (Steve Elliott of Acer Land Developments in Sudbury) willing to work with Feng Shui principles
Many people only know landscape design through television programmes. Either the projects are hugely expensive, or the installations are a "surprise" for the unsuspecting home owner. I can't imagine coming home to a surprise garden installed in my property when I had no input. Good landscape design is a reflection of the owner's lives, the architecture of the home and the character of the neighborhood.

I'm looking forward to working on my new property. I have my own Secret Garden planned!

No comments: