Monday, January 19, 2009

Hibiscus and Porcelain

Hibiscus and Porcelain is my newest design, created especially for the Sew Sunsational 2009 retreat that I am teaching at this Friday in Cocoa, Florida.

My friends Jean and Wayne Boyd shared photographs with me of their brilliant pink hibiscus from the summer of 2008. With their permission, I used them to design the flowers for this quilt. I also have a passion for blue and white porcelain ginger jars, and included them for fun. The borders seemed to need a bit of brightness, so I added 4 Orange-Barred Sulphur Butterflies to pick up the colours in the Hibiscus pistils.

I've added many bead embellishments, hand embroidery and a decorative button to this quilt. It measures 32" square and was designed to be used either as a wall quilt or a table topper.

I'm not releasing this pattern for general sale at the moment. It will be available as a one day workshop only. I'll also be teaching this workshop for Cock-A-Doodle Quilts; a shop in Toronto, Ontario on April 8th.

2 comments:

Pippa Moore said...

I love it, Janet. Congratulations! Hibiscus are such flagrantly sexual flowers, I think. So "out there". Have fun in Florida!
Pippa

Janet Rice-Bredin said...

Thank you Pippa! I LOVE your work too!