Friday, August 15, 2008

Bear Hollow Revisited

Ann Seely designed a quilt called Bear Hollow that was published in Quilter's Newsletter Magazine as a series from October 1994 to April 1995. I saved those issues for years, and sewed the quilt top together in 2002.

The quilt borders were a lovely applique design, however I decided to create my own to personalize my quilt. I used a combination of shapes from McKenna Ryan's patterns as well as my own. My designs are inspired by our canoeing trips.

I've been avoiding sewing the satin stitching around each shape because it takes soooo long! This summer I finally got around to some of the stitching, although I suspect it will take months to do it all. The corners are done, and I am stitching the long borders now. This quilt has been calling to me from my UFO stash, and it's time to get it done!

Our tent, our Golden Retriever Sasha with a stick, our glasses of wine and our campfire.

An Inukshuk that Sid built for me while I was taking a nap.

Myself in the bow, Sid in the stern, and Sasha behind me in Sid's dream canoe: a red Prospector.

A cabin on one of our favorite lakes.

Blue moose, of course.

One of several red bears and a flock of Canada geese.

When I get the borders done and sewn on to the main body of the quilt, I'll take a photo for you.

1 comment:

jude said...

i love your little applique stories.