Wednesday, September 16, 2009

My Sanctuary Garden - The Flowers

I designed this garden primarily with the foliage in mind. I didn't want strong contrasts, because the garden was for relaxing. To that end, I didn't use any plants with burgundy foliage. I did, however, include a number of shrubs and perennials that have gorgeous blossoms in a wide range of colours.

'Tiny Rubies' Dianthus

Oriental Poppy

'Buckley's Quill' Mockorange

'Flame' Peony

Fernleaf Bleeding Heart

'Strutter's Ball' Daylily

'Rozanne' Geranium

'Going Places' Daylily

'Rosy Lights' Azalea

'Comtesse de Bouchaud' Clematis

I can see this garden from my kitchen window. Fledgling robins eat the ripened Serviceberries, the sound of the water droplets from the dragonfly fountain splash into the blue water garden jar, and my Golden Retriever Lily lays on the outdoor carpet watching squirrels run past her. It's a wonderful place to just be.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Stunning garden! Jen

Dolores said...

Very colourful and inspirational.

Judy Martin said...

I am totally in awe of your gardening skills, Janet. If you ever visit me again, promise not to look at my weed patch. You give an amazing amount of time to the 'bones' and wow does that pay off. Congratulations.

Janet Rice-Bredin said...

Thanks everyone :o)