Thursday, August 6, 2009

A Truly Canadian Holiday: plant photos

I learned something new about the area we tripped around, which was west of the Spanish River in Northeastern Ontario. I saw many plants that I normally associate with more southerly areas. Bog Rosemary was in abundance; a plant that I purchased years ago for plenty of cash at a garden centre. The absolutely MOST exciting discovery, however, didn't get photographed! There were clouds of mosquitoes and a long portage ahead of me. It was a Rose Pogonia orchid (Pogonia ophioglossoides). I'm kicking myself now... in the comfort of my home, with no mosquitoes driving me insane.

An unknown yellow mushroom. I really have to buy a fungi identification book...

Unknown orangey mushroom. Ditto with the ident.

Round-leaved Sundew (Drosera rotundifolia) which carpeted one of the portage exits. It was quite a dance to avoid stepping on them whilst carrying my pack! Sundews are carnivorous plants - the leaves are tipped with a sticky fluid that traps insects.

Indian-Pipe (Monotropa uniflora) emerging from the forest leaf litter

Twinflower (Linnaea borealis) - a tiny beauty that I did a pen & ink drawing of for the Nipigon Gazette newspaper waaaaay back in 1979. I wanted to name my fledgling landscape design company "Linnaea Landscaping" in 1992, but when I test drove the name with friends and family they unanimously suggested that I was the only one in the world who would get it.

And tomorrow, my first contest!

No comments: